Marketing and Advocacy Director
- Habitat for Humanity
- Location: Helena, Montana
- Category: Admin-Public Relations, Marketing and Communications Nonprofit-Marketing & Communications Philanthropy-Administrative-Non-profit
- Posting Date: 02/24/2022
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
The Marketing and Advocacy Director is a key member of the Helena Area Habitat for Humanity leadership team and is responsible for driving the overall messaging of the organization, its initiatives, and goals, garnering greater community support and awareness in Helena through creative, impactful and successful marketing and advocacy work. The position reports to the Executive Director, with a dotted line relationship to the Director of Development to support, as necessary, philanthropic initiatives and fundraising events.
The Marketing and Advocacy Director will join a fast-paced organization with ambitious goals. This position will be the key driver of successful messaging and marketing to a wide variety of stakeholders, including donors, residents, elected officials and more to influence behavior and sway opinion where needed, through strategic, thoughtful and skilled means. You will join our highly effective team to promote affordable housing in Montana in general, and Helena Area Habitat for Humanity in specific.
- Marketing, Communications, Advertising and Public Relations:
- Responsible for creating, implementing and measuring the success of a comprehensive annual marketing, communications and public relations program that will enhance the organization’s image and position in our service area and with the general public.
- In coordination with the Development Director, create tri-annual newsletter and other publications, collaborating with the graphic designer and printer to ensure high-quality, on-brand look and feel.
- Create social media calendar, collecting photos and stories to use on FB, the website and LinkedIn.
- Works with outside vendors to create persuasive videos for marketing use and for the annual “Together We Build” fundraising luncheon.
Event Marketing and Management:
Conceives and manages innovative community engagement tools to garner support for designated initiatives; from assessing the idea to running the event, to post-event and follow-up. Experience crafting campaigns to win “hearts and mind” to achieve community/societal change.
Proactively drives media coverage and develop solid contacts and communications with targeted media (print, social, TV and radio) to keep Helena Area Habitat for Humanity’s mission front and center in the community. Proactively write and place Op-Eds, LTEs to advance the organization’s mission and/or position on issues.
Develop position papers and strategies to utilize at the bi-annual Montana legislative session, working closely with the E.D. to present effective and persuasive messaging to key legislators. Develop outreach activities to drive public awareness of Helena Habitat’s goals and objectives. Sensitively navigate competing desires to ensure diverse groups of stakeholders feel heard and a part of.
Leads the organization in creating effective outreach activities to engage church and business communities to garner more support, financial and other, for the organization.
Seek out annual speaking engagements at service clubs (Rotary, Kiwanis, etc.) to keep key community volunteers informed of our work.
- B.A. in Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, Public Policy, Journalism, or a closely related field. Advanced degree preferred.
- A minimum of 6-10 years of years of progressive experience in a leadership role in marketing, advocacy and/or communications.
- Expertise in creating effective, engaging social media, storytelling, advocacy, outreach & strategic communication campaigns.
- Experience leading media relations for an organization, including crafting appropriate messaging, writing press releases, etc.
- Superior writing skills with experience in crafting persuasive communication materials for differing audiences.
- Work is performed in an office setting.
- Ability to lift 25 pounds.
- Knowledge and facility with Microsoft Office suite.
- Valid driver’s license and ability to be insured required.
- Ability to provide high-level communications with and service to donors.
- High level of discretion and understanding of the importance of maintaining confidentiality.
- Pass a background check.
- Discretion and confidentiality with respect to Habitat families and donors.
- Experience with ethics of storytelling in a human services context.
- Ability to work as a team and independently on a diverse set of goals and projects.
- Well-organized with exceptional attention to detail and accuracy.
- Other duties as assigned.
Salary: $55,000-65,000/year (depending on experience)
Benefits include Company Health Plan,15 paid vacation days, 10 paid holidays, IRA match up to 3% after 6 months, long-term disability insurance, life insurance, HSA contribution after 6 months.