Marketing Communications Specialist
- Outward Bound USA
- Location: Greenwich, Connecticut
- Category: Nonprofit-Marketing & Communications Philanthropy-Administrative-Non-profit
- Posting Date: 03/17/2022
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
Position Title: Marketing Communications Specialist
Location: Remote/Home Office
Reports To: National Brand and Marketing Director
Date Updated: March 8, 2022
Who We Are
Outward Bound (OB) is a national non-profit educational organization in the United States. Operating for almost 60 years in the U.S, OB is dedicated to providing access and opportunity for every student to lead a life of purpose and compassion. Outward Bound’s educational approach is rooted in the challenging and supportive environment of the outdoors and grounded in the science of learning and development. Outward Bound in the US has more than 1,000,000 alumni and serves more than 45,000 young people and adults each year from communities across the United States. At Outward Bound, we strive to provide educational experiences that are inclusive and relevant for all participants and are committed to organizational improvement in support of an equitable and just society.
OB in the US
Outward Bound in the USA is a national network comprised of 11 regional Schools and two centralized support/governance organizations – Outward Bound USA (OBUSA) and the Outward Bound Services Group (OBSG). OBUSA is the national chartering/governance organization that provides oversight and critical support services for the regional Outward Bound Schools, including brand management, safety, risk management, educational approach and research, and other system-wide guidance.
As a leader in outdoor experiential education, Outward Bound is one of the worlds most recognized brands. OBUSA’s Marketing Communications Specialist is responsible for branded content creation in a variety of channels including social media, website, email marketing and the blog. The Marketing Communications Specialist supports all marketing campaigns, promotions, and brand communications and performs other marketing duties as needed.
The Marketing Communications Specialist reports to the Brand and Marketing Director and works closely with the OBUSA team on a project-by-project basis. This position also coordinates with the marketing team at Outward Bound Services Group (OBSG).
This position is a great opportunity for those with a passion for social media and marketing content creation, outdoor education, and a desire to gain experience in digital marketing while having a real impact on Outward Bound’s mission to change lives through challenge and discovery.
We are passionate about what we do! Come join our team of pro-active, service oriented, and collaborative professionals. Tap into both your analytical and creative sides and see your work make a difference. Help support a mission driven organization. Make daily contributions to a tight-knit team striving to bring Outward Bound to more students across the USA.
Functions and Responsibilities
- Support national Outward Bound social media sites including Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Twitter, and LinkedIn by creating content and posting content created by the larger marketing team or other departments within the organization.
- Manage photo selection, brand voice, and the creation of branded video clips, REELS, and other platform-related videos.
- Post regularly in social media, monitor and respond to comments and messages, and help develop relationships with partners and influencers.
- Maintain a social media schedule that corresponds to national campaigns and promotions.
- Report on key metrics and provide direction on social media strategy.
- Use Mailchimp to create newsletters and emails and manage relevant lists and groups.
- Maintain an email schedule calendar that corresponds to national marketing campaigns and promotions.
- Regularly create HTML emails for several group/segment newsletters.
- Create HTML emails and manage automations.
- Report on key metrics and provide direction on email marketing.
Website & Blog
- Use a shared Website CMS to update the website and support national website work as needed.
- Write website copy as needed and upload copy, images, and videos to web pages.
- Maintain a blog schedule that corresponds to national campaigns and promotions.
- Access and utilize a small group of internal blog contributors who write posts and provide images for the national blog.
- Contribute posts to the national blog on a regular basis.
- Report on key metrics and provide direction on website and blog strategy.
Marketing Team Support
- Support the National Brand & Marketing Director & National Marketing Manager in achieving brand, marketing, and communication goals.
- Partner with the marketing team in support of marketing campaigns and content creation to support campaigns throughout the year.
- Manage Outward Bound branded gear store.
- Support other Marketing projects as required.
Knowledge and Skills
- Basic marketing principles and practices
- Strong writing skills to develop and edit email, blog, and social content
- Strong email marketing skills and competency with HTML
- Knowledge or experience with social media as it relates to marketing
- Strong photo and video management, selection, and editing skills
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work both independently and cooperatively
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office - Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Competency using basic Content Management Systems for websites and/or blogs, like WordPress
- Basic knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience with video production for YouTube and social media a plus
- 3+ Years of brand and communications related experience in social media, email marketing, website content and blogs required
Location and Physical Requirements
- A successful candidate will work remotely, combined with necessary travel for meetings and other engagements.
- Ability to work at a desk and on a computer for most of the day
Compensation & Benefits
- This is a full-time position with a competitive benefits package, including
health/dental/vision insurance, paid time-off, short-term disability, long term disability and a 403(b) plan.
- Hiring range - $52,000 to $57,000 depending on experience
- Application deadline is March 28, 2022
Outward Bound USA (OBUSA) is an equal opportunity employer and values the inclusion and collaboration among employees of diverse backgrounds and experiences. OBUSA prohibits discrimination against, and harassment of, any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, gender, pregnancy, genetic information, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, familial status, military or veteran status, qualified individuals with a disability on the basis of the disability, or any other category which may be protected under applicable state or federal law. Outward Bound USA also promotes respect for all people and will not tolerate harassment based on any of these characteristics nor on differences based on gender identity or expression.
As we strive to reflect the communities we serve; people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Pay: $52,000.00 - $57,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- Monday to Friday